Yesterday (14 March) the Department for Transport (DfT) launched a consultation seeking views on South Eastern rail services ahead of the new franchise agreement next year.
The DfT’s ambitions for this franchise include:
- Creating more space for passengers by running longer trains and upgrading or replacing older trains
- Increasing reliability and reducing delays by the train operator working closely with Network Rail
- Improving compensations arrangements with a simple automated system
- Introduction of a smarter payment system, including mobile phones
- Improving customer service with staff able to respond quickly and effectively to passenger’s needs
The new franchise will also be the first to have an integrated operating team between train services and infrastructure, which means the new operator must work with Network Rail as one team to deliver a better service for passengers.
Mr Evennett commented: “services from Bexley to central London have been very poor. Delays, cancellations, and overcrowding have become the norm, and my constituents and fellow commuters deserve better.”
“I would encourage as many people as possible to participate in this consultation, as appointing a new franchise operator next year that will work closely with Network Rail provides a fantastic opportunity to begin to address the many issues Bexley residents have suffered on Southeastern for far too long.”