MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk

David Evennett MP has urged Bexleyheath and Crayford residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign shows that 68% of households in London could be at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Carbon Monoxide – known as the silent killer – is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm. It is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as gas boilers, cookers or fires, are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

David Evennett is supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.

The campaign recommends four simple steps to keep households safe:

• Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm which should be marked with the ‘EN50291′ safety standard
• Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered professional
• Don’t block ventilation and get chimneys swept at least once a year
• Learn about the danger signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at http://www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

Mr Evennett is pictured with an alarm after meeting representatives of the campaign in Parliament.

Advertisements